Long time ago and up to this time, the annual Roxas Town Fiesta is celebrated every 25th – 30th of April. Why April? Revelers and promenaders alike, say that the weather is just perfect for picnicking and frolicking in the glory of sunshine and the resplendence of summer. This period of the year is simply an ideal time for great leisure and fun. Such is in accordance with the intents and spirits of Municipal Ordinance No. 10 dated December 18, 1989 and Sangguniang Bayan Resolution No. 99-060 dated April 26, 1999.
With the emergence of a more resolute drive to improve the quality of our people’s lives, more persistent desire to intensify lowland vegetable production and make this locality the “Pinakbet” Vegetable Bowl of Region 02, a deeper commitment to cultivate and advance one’s history, culture and tradition and more vibrant advocacy to boost tourism and development, is it correct and timely to adopt the “Pinakbet” Festival as Roxas’s Annual Fiesta Celebration during the month of April?
We think so – predetermined to be at par with, if not merrier and more magnificent than the Panagbenga of Baguio City, Dinagyang of Iloilo City, Sinulog of Cebu City and other grandiose, jovial and colorful festivals in the country.
But why “Pinakbet”? Will this consolidate the wealth and jewels of our history, tradition and culture and eventually evolved as the central theme, distinguishing characteristics and distinctive norm of the succeeding commemoration of the Roxas Town Fiesta? We suppose, everyone shall agree.
Roxas is blest with a notably robust and wonderful past. Its historical roots are that profound and strong. The right side of history tells us that Roxas was once upon a time an integral portion of the 64,597 hectares Mallig Plains Reservation – reserved in August 29, 1940 by then Philippine President Manuel A. Roxas for public use and settlement. At that time it was an approximately 18,480-hectare piece of land – virgin plains and arable, suited for corn, rice, tobacco, fruits and vegetables. On July 4, 1948, via EO 136 issued by then President Elpidio R. Quirino, this God-given parcel of land became a full-pledge town – the central business district of the Mallig Region.